Friday, October 26, 2007

A day stuck in the Elevator

The Elevators in the peojects were esssential they were 13 stories high. There was no thirteenth floor to avoid bad luck. Well one day my mom sent me to the store to get a loaf of bread for dinner. I lived on the sixth floor. I usually walked up the flights to our apartment, but it was early evening. I did not like taking the steps around that time of day. There were bad people that hung out on the stairways around that time of day,people like junkies and these older teenagers that mugged people.

So I waited for the elevator there were two elevators in each building one that stopped on the even floors and the other on odd. Our elevator for the even floors was stuck and not working. I waited patiently for the odd elevator the people waiting with me decided to walk except for another girl. We got on the elevator pushed our floors and after it went past the third floor it got stuck in between floors. We pushed the alarm buttons we screamed soon we heard some people yelling at us they told us they would call and try to get a janitor.

They told our parents we were stuck. We made small talk to get our minds off of the stench of urine smell. We looked for a clean spot to sit as our legs began to tire. I heard my brothers voice calling my name he asked if I was alright and I answered yes. Then I heard my mother's voice. She said they had called the office and they were looking for the janitor that was on call. I started to cry it was hot and it stank.

Soon I got hungry and the girl and I ate the entire loaf of Betty Lou Bread. There is something about breaking bread with another person. Its bonding. We finished the last piece of bread and afterwards the lights came back on and the elevator moved to the next floor. When the door openned there stood our families.

No comments: